Scholarships | Funding | Deadlines


If deadlines fall on a weekend, applications will be accepted on the following business day.

  •  College/University Application Deadlines:
    • Fall Semester: June 30
    • Spring Semester: November 30
    • Summer Semester: April 30
  •  Vocational Schools Application Deadlines:
    • April 30: School start date in May, June and July
    • July 30: School start date in August, September and October 
    • October 30: School start date in November, December and January 
    • January 30: School start date in February, March and April 


    Higher Ed Deadlines


  • August 30: Summer-2nd semester/Fall-1st semester
  • January 30: Fall-2nd semester/Spring-1st semester
  • June 30: Spring-2nd semester/Summer-1st semester

Effective June 30, 2015, credit hour payments for program participants attending Arizona academic institutions, such as ASU, UofA, NAU and Maricopa Community Colleges, will be remitted to students three times per year in an effort to provide consistency and better customer service to program participants. 



Who is eligible for scholarship awards offered by the Salt River Higher Education Program?

Scholarship awards are available to: Enrolled members of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community who are enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education or vocational school. All applicants must have graduated from high school or have obtained a GED equivalency certificate to be eligible to apply for and receive grants through this program.

What does the Higher Education Program cover?

The Higher Education Program covers costs associated with tuition, mandatory fees, mandatory books and childcare (if applicable).

I plan on going to college out-of-state. How much with the Higher Education Program cover?

The answer depends on the student’s school of choice, type of school (academic or vocational), and that school’s tuition rates. Currently, the Higher Education Program pays tuition for academic college/universities that is equal to or lesser than the maximum Arizona rate or the rate of Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University or the University of Arizona or any of the Maricopa Community Colleges rates plus 75% of the remaining base tuition balance at the student’s institution of choice.

Tuition example for Out-of-Sate School (per semester): ACADEMIC School

Out-of-State Tuition Rate = $26,381.50

Max Arizona Tuition Rate = $5,700

Balance = $20,681.50

Addtl 75% of balance covered by Higher Education = $15,511.13

Total covered by Higher Education = $21,211.13

Total out-of-pocket costs covered by student = $5,170.37

Does the Higher Education Program pay for Housing/Room and Board?

No, the Higher Education Program does not cover any fees associated with room and board (i.e. meal plans, residential halls, dorms, toiletries, bedding, parking permits, etc.).

Does the Higher Education Program still assist with cost of living expenses?

No. The Higher Education Program no longer issues monthly cost of living allowances.

Instead, the Higher Education Program offers students who complete their courses with passing grades a Credit Hour Incentive. Students have the opportunity to earn and learn at the same time. Our hope is that the credit hour incentive can be used to offset some basic living costs.

Amounts vary depending on a student’s program level.

Undergraduate students will receive a credit hour payment of $275 per semester credit hour completed and passed.

Professional degree students will receive a credit hour payment of $350 per semester credit hour completed and passed.

Doctoral degree students will receive a credit hour payment of $475 per semester hour completed and passed.

I need a new laptop
. Will the Higher Education Program fund this cost; it’s mandatory for school?

Unfortunately, the Higher Education Program does not cover costs associated with any computers, laptops or cellular phones; essentially items that will become obsolete over time.

Why am I being asked to complete a form for the National Student Clearinghouse?

The National Student Clearinghouse release form is strongly recommended as it allows for the Higher Education Program staff to collect data & report on behalf of all students who have received funding from SRPMIC Higher Education. The Clearinghouse collects current enrollment data and verifies degrees and certificates for partner institutions.

Why do I have to complete the FAFSA and submit my Student Aid Report (SAR)?

The SAR is a newly required form and will not affect the funding you receive from the Higher Education Program as far as tuition assistance, credit hour incentive, or books/supplies are concerned. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is mandatory for all US students who want to be considered for financial aid. Most educational institutions use the FAFSA to assess a student's eligibility for grants, loans, and work-study programs.

What is the “Release of Confidential Personal Information Authorization” form?

This form allows us to communicate with the financial aid office, advisement, and other partnering entities within the educational intuition students attend. Not only does it disclose funding outside of SRPMIC but, allows us to communicate with the school regarding student progress, advisement, and grades/unofficial transcripts (where applicable and allowable via FERPA guidelines).

How is the Credit Hour Incentive issued to students?

There are set disbursement dates each term for students to pick up checks.  The first half of the Credit Hour Incentive is issued at the start of the semester based on the student’s enrollment and the other half is issued at the end of the term once a student submits official transcripts showing credits earned. 

What if I don’t pass all of my classes?

The Credit Hour will be reduced to reflect the number of credits earned.  If the student completes less than half of the enrolled credits, a portion of the Credit Hour Incentive may be owed.

What happens if I completely withdraw from school?

If a student completely withdraws, all funding received for the term will need to be repaid to the Scholarship Program (books, tuition if applicable, credit hour incentive and childcare).  The Program will always work with students and repayment plans are available and flexible.  Any mitigating circumstances are also taken into consideration.  

Do I need to reapply to receive funding each semester?

No. A new application packet must be completed once a year by the deadline (June 30 for academic schools, July 31 for vocational schools).

Students must submit updated documents each semester such an updated class schedule, plan of study, tuition statement, booklist and official transcripts.

What happens if I miss a deadline?

Students who miss a deadline will not receive funding for that term/semester; however, they are able to apply to the next appropriate deadline. 

Download the FAQ List Here


Schools that are funded at 100% Tuition (conditions may apply):


The Higher Education department has researched and organized several scholarship opportunities that will benefit students needing financial aid. Download the scholarship list.

See also 


Take some time reviewing the different scholarships available and please share the information with others!

Higher Education staff welcomes calls/emails for assistance with the FAFSA form or any scholarship applications and essays. Please call 480-362-2547 or email [email protected]

*IMPORTANT: All students interested in applying for tuition assistance are required to complete the FAFSA. Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free of charge and gives students access to federal student aid to pay for colleges, universities and/or vocational schools. The FAFSA can also be used to apply for state grants and money from many colleges and universities across the nation.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.